Valkyrie Turkish Spindle And Mystery Fiber

For approximately a year I had been looking at Turkish spindles and was not exactly thrilled with them...well not at first. Being in the midst of my own personal lust for spindles that never seems to die it became apparent that money would sooner or later become an issue. The price on the Valkyrie Turkish spindle seemed just right so I purchased one from Mielkes Fiber Arts and waited for it to arrive in the mail. The wait was not exactly difficult, as I was still not convinced that I was going to enjoy a Turkish spindle. When it arrived upon opening the box I was surprised to find two ounces of an amazingly beautiful; neutral color, grey fiber (type unknown). All I was sure about was the fiber was some type of wool. Later that evening I settled in to try out my knew spindle which was easy enough as I had been an avid spinner of many different types of spindles before hand and getting the spindle setup for spinning was very easy. The only adjustment I made was to reverse the direction of the spindle arms. This personal adjustment simply made it easier for me to wind on the turtle. An hour later I still had not put it down. Quickly, I fell in love with the Turkish spindle and now own three of them. When I finished spinning the two ounces I had created the perfect fat turtle, resulting in a center-pull ball of yarn ready to be spun into a 2-ply yarn right off the spindle. The Turkish spindle produces a very uniform yarn. Long live the Turtle! Salaam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Turkish Spindle Spinning

Turkish Spindle Spinning